Tips & Tricks
Pulling wiring in a new house
- Do it after the electricians are done.
- Buy or rent a right angle drill.
- Take many pictures.
- Donít pull too fast.
- Get many ladders.
- Use good, waterproof labels.
- Use J-boxes.
- Leave long ends on the wire.
- Cover cable ends with plastic bags.
- Leave really long ends on the controller end.
- Bundle and wrap controller ends in plastic.
- Plan, Plan, Plan!
- Research and follow the building codes in your area.
- Donít pull too tight.
- Use wire staples and follow the electricians lead.
- Mark on the floor with spray paint where each of your
- Use deep J-boxes.
- Beware crossing or getting close to electric lines.
- We read on the Internet that a wire stapler was wonderful
so we got one, but we did not find it useful. The small wire nails were
faster and easier (get many sizes).
- Work from longest run to shortest run. This utilizes your
cable the best.
- Be careful hooking up your IR receivers. If you get the
wires mixed up, you may kill the receiver.
- Use JP1 remotes if you have the skills.
- Buy an X10 signal tester. It will be worth the money!
- X-10 is not reliable so do not use it for critical things.